NIE stands for Numero de Identidad de Extranjero which translates as Identification Number for Foreigners, it also doubles as your Spanish tax number.
Who needs an NIE? Any foreigner who wants to come to Spain to live, work, study or start a business here whether or not you become a resident or remain as a non-resident foreigner.
Why do you need an NIE? You need an NIE for nearly everything. If you want to rent/buy an apartment or a house, if you apply for electricity, gas, water, TV, Internet, Telephone, get a mobile phone, buy a car, get the car repaired, every bill needs to have your NIE on it, even if you buy a computer, a laptop or a printer. If you want to buy property, if you want to incorporate a Spanish SL, if you want to register your children in school, if you need a mailbox, etc, etc, you always need your NIE.
How to apply for an NIE?
You can apply: - In person - Via a Spanish Consulate in your country - Through a representative in Spain
Things you need to apply:
1. Have a Spanish address which can be your potential future home.
2. You need to go to the Policia Nacional and pick up two forms, which you need to fill out. In order to get these forms, you have to wait in line.
3. If you are not working, you need to show proof that you have €5,008 in your Spanish bank account and pay a €10.80 application fee, proof that you paid will be printed onto the form you picked up previously.
4) Get Spanish Health Insurance, which has to be good for at least one year. Alternatively show your Spanish employment contract from your Spanish employer.
5) You need a copy of your passport and the original passport
6) Students need to show proof of matriculation status, the health insurance, copy of passport, passport and that they have enough money in their bank account to finish their studies.
After you acquired all the documents, you need to go back to the Policia Nacional and wait in line again to submit all your documents.
If the officer accepts all of your documents, you can return the next day to pick up your NIE, after again waiting in line again.
The NIE is valid indefinitely: IT NEVER NEEDS TO BE RENEWED!
Just as a reminder, no Spanish government employee is required to speak English or any other language. Please be prepared to talk to them in Spanish. Furthermore, the forms are also only available in Spanish.
If you need assistance either with the documentation or with translation, contact Sunshine Enterprise Marbella. This organisation specialises in assisting families and businesses in Marbella and the Costa del Sol.
Comments for Why do I need an NIE number in Spain?